Strather’s original Detroit-based Atwater casino syndication moved on to form AtMashpee LLC and push the Recognition and Cape Cod casino development plans of the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe. Another Strather affiliate Maushop LLC purchased 28 acres of land on Cape Cod. Strather would later reveal that South African casino moguls Sol Kerzner and Len Wolman were the primary investors in the Mashpee venture. And in 2008, further controversy ensued when Mashpee tribal chairman Glenn Marshall admitted to federal investigators that Strather had funneled $4 million to him which was used in an illegal political contributions scheme and to pay personal bills.
Celani, a one-time beer distributor, organized Luna Entertainment. He had been a founder of Sodak Gaming, Inc. which was acquired by International Game Technology. He subsequently was licensed for gaming in Nevada and took over management of the famed Cal-Neva Casino previously owned by Frank Sinatra and frequented by Sinatra's "Rat Pack" entertainment pals.
Among other gaming facilities, Celani has since become licensed to own/operate, the Fortune Valley Hotel and Casino (CO), Red Dolly Casino (CO), Rolling Hills Casino (CA), and the Kiowa Red River Casino (OK). Of those Detroiters behind the original MotorCity Casino syndication and relative to the breadth of his gaming involvement, Celani has been the least controversial and most successful opening or acquiring new casinos outside of Michigan. Celani Profile.
Despite Malik's 1999 failure to obtain a gaming license in Michigan, Malik and Ilitch have continued as business partners. They have been relentless in their pursuits to develop and manage Indian casinos in partnership with the Bay Mills Indian Community (MI), Los Coyotes Band of Indians (CA), Big Lagoon Rancheria (CA), Shinnecock Indian Nation (NY) spending millions on lobbying, political campaign contributions and legal work.
- Not so favorable report of casino syndicators Strather, Varner, Malik, Slavik et al
- Three-fourths of AtMashpee LLC investors were behind entity that morphed into MotorCity Casino
- Detroiters Strather, Deitch provided $4 million fund that enabled wrongdoing by ex-tribal chairman
- UPDATED: Formerly rejected MotorCity Casino backers Malik & Strather have taken similar paths to Long Island & Cape Cod
- Mike Malik's partners also had a history of tax dodging; court ordered real estate negligence claims; and 40+ foreclosures
- Detroit-based casino developer convicted of bribing a police officer among Gov. Deval Patrick's donors
- Tom Celani: a biographical feature from Crain's Detroit Business
- Michael Malik: The Latest Life & Times of a Detroit Casino Syndicator
- Scandal Continues to Plague Political and Lobbying Activities of Detroiters Bankrolling Shinnecock Casino Plans
- How Detroit casino syndicators financed the campaign that brought Las Vegas-style casino gaming to Detroit
- The Detroit Gaming Syndicators: Marian Ilitch, Michael Malik and Tom Celani
- Six dropped from Atwater Casino Group
- Three investors must sell their Detroit casino interests
- Investors have troubled histories
- More than Two Dozen Malik / Ilitch Gaming Affiliates Pursue Casino Plans in CA, MI & NY