The partners [Malik / Ilitch / Gateway Casino Resorts] have hired Mercury Public Affairs, whose star lobbyist is Rodney Capel, a former top official in the state Democratic Party. Capel has also worked for Sen. Chuck Schumer, Rep. Charles Rangel, and Assemblyman Herman (Denny) Farrell.Sen. Schumer fought Federal Recognition for the Shinnecock Indian Nation and is a staunch opponent of a Shinnecock casino in Suffolk County. TVT is not aware of any public position taken by Sen. Gillibrand on a Shinnecock Casino but she is likely to defer to the will of locals. Rep. Rangel represents a district in Harlem.
Discussions on the project, some as recent as two weeks ago, have been held with Gov. Paterson, major state leaders, Rangel, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand and Schumer's chief of staff, Martin Brennan, said Capel, whose firm has been paid more than $200,000.
So why have members of Detroit's Ilitch Family and Michael J. Malik written checks for more than $260,000 to committees supporting the re-elections of Schumer, Gillibrand and Rangel? It would appear as though lobbyist Capel's connections have driven decision making.
Charles B. Rangel (D)
Kirsten Gillibrand (D)
Charles E. Schumer (D)
Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte
During the 2010 election cycle; several New York legislators and Governor Andrew Cuomo actually rejected campaign contributions from Malik because of his controversial background. Ilitch/Malik and their affiliates/partners have paid Mercury Public Affairs $1,234,780
- Ilitch affiliate retains former U.S. Senator Alfonse D'Amato's lobbying firm to push New York Casino plans for Shinnecock
- Shinnecock and Ilitch affiliate Gateway Casino Resorts paid $1.5 million to New York Lobbyists
- D.C. Lobbyists Paid $2.33 Million to Advance Shinnecock Casinos
- Shinnecock Casino Backers have dropped $117,500 on top-ranking NY Politicians
- Scandal Continues to Plague Political and Lobbying Activities of Detroiters Bankrolling Shinnecock Casino Plans
- Michael Malik: The Latest Life & Times of a Detroit Casino Syndicator