|Michael J. Malik, Sr.,|
Gateway Casino Resorts, L.L.C.
"Gateway needs to understand that they are not going to control our tribe," said Lance Gumbs, a former tribal trustee who voted against the pact.During the last decade Lance Gumbs, then a trustee of the Shinnecock Indian Nation was one of those out front on efforts to gain Federal Recognition and pursue casino development. However, in an unprecedented run-off earlier this year, Gumbs was ousted as Trustee by Fred Bess, a former Trustee. It's been reported that Bess is seen by some members of the Tribe as a tool of casino syndicator Malik.
Had Gumbs been a perceived as useful to Detroit casino syndicator Michael Malik, it's likely that Malik would have helped to ensure Gumbs remained in a leadership role. However, had Gumbs fallen out of favor with Malik, it's likely Malik or his agents would have worked to replace Gumbs as trustee.
There's some suggestion that among other things, Gumbs believes the Shinnecock should undertake casino development closer to its Long Island Reservation. Malik apparently wants a site closer to Manhattan. A recent Shinnecock gaming update circulated included artist's renderings of a mega casino-entertainment development labeled "Governor's Island."
This past week, it's come to light that a war has been brewing among those on the Shinnecock's Long Island reservation. And now it's clear that Gumbs was among those who stood against the Tribe signing a new go-forward contract with Malik's syndicate Gateway Casino Resorts, LLC, despite that Malik and fellow investors may have spent as much as $40 million helping the Shinnecock receive Federal Recognition and advancing schemes for casinos. Last night, Shinnecock tribal members voted 121 to 153 against continuing the partnership with Malik's Gateway.
|Lance R. Gumbs|
Shinnecock Indian Nation
- Why is Gumbs no longer a Shinnecock Nation Trustee? What went on behind the scenes of the last election?
- Was Gumbs once the recipient of payments from Malik and then suddenly cut-off?
- If a rift occurred between Gumbs and Malik, what else was that about?
- Since Malik succeeded convicted felon Ivy Ong as the Tribe's partner, who has received payments, gifts, trips, honorariums or other enrichment from Malik, his affiliates or agents?
- What roles do those individuals play, or have they played, with the Tribe?
- How is paying off certain members of the Shinnecock Nation different than the payola Malik's one-time MotorCity Casino partner Herb Strather funneled to members of the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe via its one-time Chair Glenn Marshall?
- Shinnecock Gumbs named to Newspaper's Power List Hall of Fame
- It's Carcieri not Malik that poses Bigger Problems for the Shinnecock Nation
- Statement by the Trustees of the Shinnecock Nation Following Thursday's Vote Denying them Authority to Contract with Detroit Casino Syndicator
- Distrust and Suspicion of Detroiter Michael Malik Cause Tribe to Reject Casino Syndicator, New Contract
- Shinnecock Vote Down gaming pact with Gateway Casino Resorts, reject longtime investors Michael Malik & Marian Ilitch
- Votes Are Counted & Shinnecock Nation Gives Thumbs Down to Contract with Michael Malik's Gateway Casino Resorts
- Artist's Renderings of Detroiters' Planned Shinnecock Casino Development at Belmont Race Track
- What They Won't Tell You: Insights on Gateway Casino Resorts, its Detroit Organizers and Their Plans for Shinnecock Casinos