H.R. 2495 - To provide for and approve the settlement of certain land claims of the Bay Mills Indian Community and the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians. (introduced 7.12.01 by B. Stupak MI-1; no co-sponsors)
H.R. 5459 - To provide for and approve the settlement of certain land claims of the Bay Mills Indian Community. (introduced 9.25.02 by D. Bonior MI-10; co-sponsor D. Young AK-1)
S. 2986 - Bay Mills Indian Community Land Claim Settlement Act. (introduced 9.20.02 by D. Stabenow MI; no co-sponsors). A hearing before the Senate Indian Affairs Committee was held . On 11.19.02, Stabenow attempted to bypass the Indian Affairs Committee by taking the bill directly to the floor of the Senate for a vote. Sen. H. Reid (NV) opposed the effort. (remarks by Reid and Stabenow)
H.R. 3550 – To authorize funds for Federal-aid highways, highway safety programs, and transit programs, and for other purposes. (introduced 11.20.03 by D. Young AK-1; 145 co-sponsors):
SEC. 1209.(e) Port Huron, Michigan –
(1) Traffic study- There is authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary $100,000 for a traffic study to be conducted in Port Huron, Michigan, in connection with economic development that may result from the implementation of the agreement of the State of Michigan resolving a title dispute concerning certain property, executed on August 23, 2002, and filed with the Michigan department of State on September 20, 2002.
(2) Ratification of agreement- The agreement is hereby ratified.
(3) Treatment of certain lands- The alternative lands described in the agreement shall be treated as meeting the requirements of section 20(b)(1)(B)(i) of Public Law 100-497 (25 U.S.C. 2719(b)(1)(B)(i)).
(4) Trust- The Secretary of the Interior shall take the alternative lands into trust for the benefit of the non-State party within 60 days of the non-State party's acquisition of the land described in section 4 of the agreement.
(5) Extinguishment of claim- Upon implementation, the claim to the lands of the non-State party described in section 1 of the agreement is hereby extinguished.
110th Congress (2007-08)