...In recent years, Larry Mayea, his brother, Don Mayea, 52, and their father have built or refurbished mahogany touring and speedboats for Detroit developer and entrepreneur Mike Malik, Jim Walgreen (from the Walgreens drugstore chain), Dean Griffith of Griffith Laboratories, and many others. The company has more than 300 clients, many of whom are return customers. “We customize a lot of fiberglass boats because the owners want something different from everyone else,” Larry says.
Malik has proved to be a loyal customer. The casino investor commissioned the Lil’ Rascal, a 25-foot mahogany speedboat powered by a 377-horsepower MerCruiser engine, the 25-foot Obsession, and the 47-foot Temptation. The latter craft — believed to be the longest mahogany boat powered by diesel engines — is outfitted with numerous custom features, including ostrich and mustard leather seats, granite countertops, a hand-pounded sunken brass sink, mahogany liquor cabinets, and Burma teak flooring inlaid with black walnut. There’s also a power hatch that folds out into a table, mahogany drawers that can chill wine and food, a nuclear submarine-like shifter, and a stainless-steel figurine of a prone lady that pops up into a cleat (the ultimate front deck ornament).
“Mayea has always been considered one of the premier boat builders in the world, and it’s tough to get a boat from them because so much of their work is tied to restorations,” says Malik says. “The other nice thing is that the Mayea boats appreciate in value, and only a very exclusive club of people own one.” He recently commissioned a 37-foot mahogany craft and has plans to order a 60-foot boat in the future. He also owns the Sea Stag, a 38-foot mahogany craft whose previous owners included actors Fess Parker and James Dean... Read Complete Story
- Tribe's former chairman now skippers casino syndicator's luxury fishing boat
- The "Gabby:" a Malik family Sea Ray built sport yacht?
- EDITORIAL: The first of Mike Malik's failed attempts to develop a Marina on Harsens Island
- Former casino partners formed Renegade Charters LLC
- Ilitch Casino Partner's $3 Million Temptation
- Casino Syndicator Mike Malik owns boat slips adjacent to Detroit's Bayview Yacht Club
- Despite Financial Woes, Ilitch Partner Obsessed with Buying Million Dollar Luxury Watercraft