Detroit casinos revenue up overall; Greektown lags
By Jaclyn Trop
Detroit's three casinos recorded a strong 4.1 percent increase in revenue in September to $113.8 million compared with the same month last year, according to the state Gaming Control Board.
It is the best year-over-year comparison since April. Both April and September had five Fridays this year, but April also had five Saturdays.
"That's probably worth 3 percent or so of the 4 percent (growth)," said Frank Fantini, editor and publisher of Delaware-based Fantini's Gaming & Lodging Reports.
MotorCity Casino Hotel, the second-largest gaming hall by revenue, led the way with a 10.4 percent jump over last September to $38.4 million.
MGM Grand Detroit, the largest, followed with a 4.5 percent increase to $48.6 million.
Greektown Casino Hotel, the smallest, experienced a 4.4 percent decline in September revenues. Construction on Greektown's gaming floor, which reopened on Sept. 23 after about seven weeks, may havecut customer visits andrevenues.
The Detroit casino market has experienced revenue growth through the first nine months of this year as Michigan's economy initially showed signs of a rebound and then stagnated during the past three months as the state's jobless rate increased.
- Forbes says Ilitch worth $2 Billion; Ranking #212 among Richest Americans, #5 Richest in Michigan
- Detroit #1 on Forbes' List of America's Most Dangerous Cities!
- Ilitch Gets Richer on the backs of Detroit's working class; Detroit still America's most Dangerous City
- Ilitch Unlikely to get Taxpayer Subsidies for a New Detroit Hockey Arena
- Ilitch affiliate retains former U.S. Senator Alfonse D'Amato's lobbying firm to push New York Casino plans for Shinnecock
- Shinnecock and Ilitch affiliate Gateway Casino Resorts paid $1.5 million to New York Lobbyists
- D.C. Lobbyists Paid $2.33 Million to Advance Shinnecock Casinos
- Shinnecock Casino Backers have dropped $117,500 on top-ranking NY Politicians
- Scandal Continues to Plague Political and Lobbying Activities of Detroiters Bankrolling Shinnecock Casino Plans
- The Latest Life & Times of a Detroit Casino Syndicator